To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s greatest and most necessary tales delivered to your inbox daily at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe here.
Oh heeeeeey. So excited to see you once more, glad to have you ever with us. It’s been a busy information day on the positioning, and we’re notably excited to share our iPhone 14 review with y’all.
Oh, and do you know we’ve managed to persuade our advertising staff to let you may have 15% off TechCrunch Disrupt tickets, only for being a Every day Crunch reader? Use this link, or pop “DC” into the promo code box while you purchase your passes to the most popular startup occasion of the summer time.
Table of Contents
The TechCrunch Prime 3
- Shedding event: Twilio introduced it was shedding 11% of its workforce. CEO Jeff Lawson stated the layoffs had been “clever and obligatory” for the corporate because it walked the trail to profitability. Kyle has extra.
- Biting into the Apple iPhone 14: It’s uncommon that we get a Panzer story, so we had been delighted to see it accomplish that properly. Maybe you Every day Crunch followers had been additionally excited to see his identify grace a narrative, or since you had been keen to listen to a evaluation concerning the iPhone 14. Don’t fear, if it’s the latter, we received’t inform.
- This “island” is not tropical: iPhone fanatics might have doubted the usefulness of “the notch” on the iPhone X, however Ivan writes that the brand new “Dynamic Island” function for iPhone 14 is something however.
Startups and VC
Someway, ’twas the season for audio firms elevating cash, as we now have a stereo pair of tales at the moment: Romain experiences that high-end speaker manufacturer Devialet raised $50 million, and Brian and Haje report that Nomono, maker of the $3,000 podcast mic array, raised $3.6 million.
Issues are available pairs within the transportation trade as properly, it seems. Rebecca experiences that TruckSmarter comes out of stealth with a free load board for truckers, and Kyle has a narrative that Nyshex loads $25 million into its bank account to match shippers with ocean carriers.
In non-sound and non-shipping startup information:
Expensive Sophie: Is there a method to hold working within the US after my J-1 visa expires?
I’m a Fulbright scholar on a J-1 visa. I’ve been advised that after my J-1 ends, I’m required to return to my nation for 2 years.
Is there a approach I can keep within the U.S.? Can I apply for an O-1A or inexperienced card even when I’ve to return to my nation?
— In search of to Keep
(TechCrunch+ is our membership program, which helps founders and startup groups get forward. You can sign up here. Use code “DC” for a 15% low cost on an annual subscription!)
Large Tech Inc.
It was a busy information day for our huge tech firms. We begin with some lights, digital camera, motion…uh, motion from Haje, who writes on DJI’s new Osmo Action 3 digital camera. Presenting your new finest pal for taking underwater images all the way down to 16 meters in depth.
Some information out of South Korea: Each Google and Meta had been collectively fined $71.8 million by the nation’s authorities for allegedly violating South Korea’s privacy law, Kate experiences. As well as, Manish writes about Terraform Labs founder Do Kwon having an arrest warrant out for him concerning the corporate’s two tokens losing $40 billion in value in a span of days earlier this 12 months. On account of that information, the worth of Luna, the brand new token of the revived ecosystem, dropped to $2.23 apiece.
- Extra layoffs: Persevering with from the Twilio information above, Amanda has extra on Patreon laying off 17% of staff, whereas Lauren experiences on Netflix downsizing its animation department.
- Extra Google: Google had a combined day. The search large was not profitable in overturning a €4 billion Android antitrust decision, Natasha L writes. However, as Ivan experiences, it now has 31 new emojis. Discover out which one “shook” him. In the meantime, Sarah experiences some bad news from Google’s Area 120 R&D division — a “discount in drive” — and likewise walks us by means of Google’s new redesigned Memories feature and artistic instruments.
- Extra creator instruments: Talking of getting artistic, Canva unveiled a new suite of products in hopes of shedding its purely graphic design picture, Amanda writes.
- Extra creepy AI: Devin delights us with “a terrifying AI-generated woman lurking in the abyss of latent space.”
- Extra charging stations: On the Detroit Auto Present at the moment, Biden introduced $900 million for EV charging stations, Rebecca experiences.