New Starbucks Odyssey loyalty program ‘occurs to be constructed on blockchain and web3’ • TechCrunch
To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s largest and most necessary tales delivered to your inbox day by day at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe here.
Glad new week, startup nerds!
Tomorrow (Tuesday), we now have not one, however two Twitter Reside occasions taking place, and we’re enthusiastic about each of ’em. At 8:00 a.m. PDT / 11:00 a.m. EDT, we are talking with Andrew Chan about why Gen Z VCs are trash, and at 12:00 p.m. PDT / 3:00 p.m. EDT, we’re speaking with M13 companion Anna Barber about what as we speak’s founders can be taught from the dot-com bubble bursting.
Might your week have all the suitable sorts of surprises in it! — Christine and Haje
The TechCrunch High 3
- 2001, a Starbucks Odyssey: In August, Starbucks bought issues percolating with plans for a blockchain-based loyalty program and NFT community. Right now, the espresso big brews up extra pleasure, unveiling Starbucks Odyssey. Sarah has extra on this steamy, sizzling cup of rewards.
- Twitter vs. Elon Musk, part 265: Ivan writes that “the third time is the appeal” for Elon Musk’s legal professionals, who delivered a 3rd termination discover to Twitter relating to the severance fee made to former safety head Peiter “Mudge” Zatko in June, arguing that this motion was in violation of Musk’s proposed settlement to accumulate the social media big. Or so that they thought. Twitter is denying this breached the settlement.
- Africa’s hot and heavy fintech sector: Kippa, a Nigerian monetary administration app for retailers, closed on $8.4 million in new funding. Tage studies that Kippa already has 500,000 retailers utilizing its app since launching final June.
Startups and VC
EV truck firm Nikola merged with VectoIQ in a SPAC in June 2020 with a $29 billion valuation. Trevor Milton, ex-CEO of Nikola, starts his fraud trial, which serves as a warning to risk-loving traders who would throw cash at an organization earlier than it begins delivering merchandise or bringing in income, Rebecca studies.
“The truth is that should you’re a Silicon Valley-based enterprise agency, no LP at your annual assembly goes to ask you, ‘How did you miss firm X in Columbus?’ Like, that’s not gonna occur. However they are going to ask you, ‘How did you miss company Y that was in Silicon Valley?’ They don’t wish to miss these issues of their yard,” defined Chris Olsen in an enchanting interview with Connie. Olsen spent six years with Sequoia Capital in California earlier than co-founding Drive Capital in Columbus, Ohio, in 2013.
Tangentially associated, for our Metropolis Highlight: Minneapolis final week, Haje hosted a panel discussing What Minneapolis investors are looking for (hint: it’s not just Minnesota startups).
Right here’s a couple of extra for ya:
For LatAm fee orchestration startups, market fragmentation is a blessing in disguise
In Latin America, e-commerce is tormented by excessive fraud charges. Scarcely 20% of adults have a bank card, and plenty of who do aren’t ready to make use of them internationally.
It’s additionally true that e-commerce is rising quicker there than in some other area for the reason that pandemic started. In response to one research, on-line gross sales in Latin America will generate $379 billion in a 32% year-over-year enhance.
“The funds panorama in Latin America appears hopelessly fragmented and riddled with fraud,” says Rocio Wu, a principal at F-Prime Capital.
“Nonetheless, we consider that fragmentation truly gives an enormous alternative for vertically built-in funds orchestration startups to seize loads of worth.”
(TechCrunch+ is our membership program, which helps founders and startup groups get forward. You can sign up here.)
Huge Tech Inc.
Darrell was following the Blue Origin launch this morning and introduced information that the launch was aborted after “a mid-flight anomaly.”
We all know you missed getting your Apple information repair over the weekend, so the crew, together with Zack, Ivan, Sarah and Romain, got here collectively to deliver you some tales associated to iOS 16. First are five new security and privacy features adopted by “nifty” features you don’t wish to miss. Then the whole lot you needed to find out about Lock Screen widgets and the way downloading iOS 16 will flip your iPhone into a more personal device and eventually, the thin on Apple Passkey.
- Eyeing India: That’s precisely what Google is planning on doing with a number of the manufacturing for its Pixel smartphones, Manish writes.
- What to not depart in your lodge room: Undecided how one can simply “discover” a Meta Quest Pro prototype, however that’s what a online game streamer in Mexico says occurred. Amanda has extra.
- Nope: Can’t say Amazon didn’t strive. The e-commerce big is urging the European Union to just accept its provide to finish an antitrust probe into its use of third-party information. Natasha L writes that some advocacy teams are calling Amazon’s provide “weak, obscure and filled with loopholes.”
- Chocolate, salty balls maybe?: Transfer over capsules and Ok-cups. Espresso balls are right here.Discover out what Haje needed to say in regards to the Swiss-based CoffeeB machine.